19 May 2010

Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait - K.A Bedford.

OK, I really wanted to like this book.  I really want to like K.A Bedford, because she is from Perth and local SF writers with published books are pretty rare around here.  Unfortunately, there is a reason that local writers don't get published.  This books is essentially a fairly average ex-cop novel with time machine tropes pasted over the top.

Yawn, boring.  I read this novel already.  I think Mickey Spillane wrote it.  Or maybe it was that JD Robb chick.  It was like reading my own fiction.  Average, overwritten, under planned.  Got tied up trying to explain the concepts rather than just telling the story.  That's why I am not published.

The concept was actually pretty good, but this book needed a serious edit and rewrite.  I think it could have been great at half the pages.  I only finished it though because I felt obligated to give the benefit of the doubt to an Australian writer.

Sorry KA, I wish I didn't have to write this, but I must be honest with my own reading diary, and this book was pretty crap.  Somehow it managed to win the Aurelius Award in 2008.