16 April 2010

Kage Baker - The Sons of Heaven

The final book in the completely brilliant Company series has been read, and now I am done.  Damn.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the ending. I just wish it hadn't ended.

I'm impressed that Baker sustained this concept over not just 8 novels, but also two collections of short stories, several uncollected shorts and a related novel based on the Mars colony only vaguely mentioned in the novels (The Empress of Mars, Tor 2009 based on the novella The Empress of Mars.)  Not once did I lose interest in the story, and every character, no matter how minor (or in some cases irrelevant), became a person rather than just a bit in the book.

I really don't want to write anything about the plot, except to say that it twists and turns, loops, twists again, loops twice more, at which point I lost track of the direction, then blew me away with the final twist, which twisted once more, then looped, then twisted again.

Kage Baker will be sadly missed by this little white science fiction obsessive.  I guess I'll have to start on her fantasy novels next.  I give this novel, and this series, 10/10, 100%, 5 Stars, and so on.