- Author: Kage Baker
- Title: The Children of the Company
- Publisher: Tor 2005
- ISBN: 978-0765314550
There are one or two spoilers after the jump - click with care to
Baker uses the format of interlinked short story chapters with linking overviews from the perspective of Executive Facilitator General Labienus. It's an effective way of demonstrating the power and control that Labienus has over history and the Company agents, as he reviews supposedly lost or highly secret, in some cases even incriminating, files on operations and operatives to whom dreadful things have happened.
The novel includes expansions or portions of short stories previously published in Asimov's, Amazing Stories and Realms of Fantasy magazines. The stories are listed here --: (not the penis emoticon silly, the list below!)
- Son Observe the Time - Victor tells the story of the looting of San Francisco by the Company, and his confrontation with Budu, retired enforcer, under orders from Labienus.
- The Fourth Branch - the mortal Eogan tells the story of how Lewis was damaged to near death by the mysterious midget humans in the earth mound. (this is a big reveal from hints in earlier volumes)
- The Queen in The Hill - another mortal employee tells his story. More midget people revelations.
- Black Smoker - now we know what happened to Kalugin, and it is not nice.
- The Young Master - The young life of Edward.
- The Applesauce Monster - Victors tale of his mission relating to the first recombinant (genetically engineered) child, and his discovery of Labienus' manipulations.